Will Romania upset France in the opener game of Euro 2016
The wait has finally over as the UEFA Euro 2016 will start from today. In the first match hosts, France will take on Romania in opening match from Group A at the Stade de France on Friday. France will have a tough fight against Romania, four matches were drawn in their last five encounters, and Romania has not beaten Les Bleus since 1972.
France will be looking to win their third Euro Cup after their 1984 and 2000 triumphs. They have put their all possible efforts in the last four games where they scored 13 goals.
Romania had mixed results in the tournament’s friendlies where they beating Georgia 5-1 last week but also suffered a 4-3 defeat by Ukraine.
Romania manager Anghel Iordanescu hopes that his team will stick to their game plan and will hit the France’s shortcomings.
Didier Claude Deschamps has gone through criticism over the exclusion of Karim Benzema from the final 23. The charges are levelled at Deschamps for overlooking the Real Madrid. The first choice striker of France will be Olivier Giroud who was booed during an international friendly against Cameroon. Emerging International Football Player Who will Shine at EURO 2016
France, Giroud and Deschamps will certainly be hoping that the fans will behind them when they face Romania in the Euro 2016 opening match. They know pretty well that they are the favourites of this match, and indeed are one of the favourites for this Euro 2016. But they certainly have to play well otherwise Romania was to upset them at their national stadium.
Steliano Filip, who has an ankle problem is a little bit worry for Romania, but Florin Andone, Vlad Chiriches, and Ovidiu Hoban have all recovered. Anghel Iordanescu, the Romania coach, will hope whatever players he puts in for this Euro 2016 matchup, will work exactly as they have planned. Romania will have to keep the things tight, it will make France more nervous, and will then give them an opportunity to cause an upset.
Centre back Raphael Varane suffered an injury and will not be playing for the France and Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho was handed a 30-day provisional ban after failing a drugs test. After his ban expired last month, Deschamps kept him out from his final 23-man squad.
Romania will be playing with full strength after some minor injury scares.
“Both Forwards Andone and Denis Alibec got injured but their light injuries that won’t have an impact,” said Anghel Iordanescu.
- Romania was not able to defeat France in eight competitive matches against France. France won three games and five games were drawn.
- France and Romania had played 15 games against each other and won seven matches.
- France is unbeaten in their last 10 matches against Romania: W5-D5. The last time they had lost against Romania on 8 April 1972, 2-0 in a friendly in Bucharest.
- Four matches ended in a draw of the last five meetings between France and Romania. The only match won France by 2-0 win on 9 October 2010 in an EURO 2012 qualification.
- The host France has only lost one of their eight matches played at home against Romania. That only home defeat was in their very first game in France, as Romania won 2-1 on 22 March 1967.
- This is the third encounter of France and Romania at the European Championships.
- On 10 June 1996, exactly 20 years ago, France beat Romania 1-0 with the goal by Christophe Dugarry (25′). Didier Deschamps, French current coach, played the full 90 minutes in that match. France finished first in the group, while Romania ended at fourth.
France: Sagna, Rami, Lloris, Koscielny, Evra, Kante, Matuidi, Coman, Pogba, Payet, Giroud
Romania: Tatarusanu, Sapunaru, Grigore, Rat, Pintilii, Chiriches, Hoban, Torje, Stancu, Stanciu, Andone